Family Adventure Weekend
Family, Food, Campfire and Fun! Enjoy a weekend in the great outdoors, and let us do all the work so you can maximize family time. On Saturday, we’ll explore the Mountain Shepherd trail system on a family-friendly nature hike, have some splashy fun in the creek, and end our day with a cookout, campfire, s’mores, and story time. Choose your level of adventure with the option to tent out under the stars, or reserve a bunkroom for your family in the lodge. Sunday morning we’ll fuel up with Mountain Shepherd’s famous pancakes before learning survival skills to stay safe while playing outside. Lodging, camping gear, and all meals provided.
What to Expect
This weekend, expect lots of fun games, and time in nature for your family. Explore our different lodging options and decide what makes the most sense for your family. We’ll help you set-up a tent so you can sleep under the stars, and provide all the camping gear to keep your family cozy and comfortable at one of our group campsites. Or if you prefer, we also have themed bunk rooms (with 4 beds each), with access to all the indoor amenities like flush toilets and showers. All meals starting with lunch on Saturday, a cookout/picnic on Saturday night, through lunch on Sunday are provided.
Families can choose to overnight in a tent, hammock, or improvised survival shelter. Loaner gear such as tents, hammocks, and sleeping bags are available, so this is a great opportunity to try something new or test out your own sleep system.
- 2 days/1 night
- Survival training
- Hiking with Kids prep
- All meals included
- Memories to last a lifetime
- Family friendly
- Hands-on learning
- Small group environment (5 families max)
Who chooses this adventure?
This adventure is for family adventurers, looking to gain skills and outdoor knowledge, and the confidence to spend more time outside with their families.
Families of all kinds are welcome, but guided activities will be tailored to kids 10 and under.
Have your own? Bring it! Don’t have your own, or want to try something new before you buy it? Use ours! From tents to sleeping bags to sleeping pads, we’ve got everything you need aside from clothing and tennis shoes. Find details on the packing list below, and reach out with any questions. Never fear, we’ve got the gear!
All meals and snacks are provided, with plenty of options and dietary accommodations available. Fuel up with hearty home cooking while at the Mountain Shepherd lodge, and let us share some of our favorite outdoor snacks and recipes!
This is your adventure! You may choose to fully embrace the experience by spending the night in your own tent, or you can borrow a tent or even hammocks for each of your family members! It’s also totally fine to sleep in a bunk room in the lodge. The choice is yours.
Your adventure begins and ends at the Mountain Shepherd Lodge in Catawba, VA.The nearest airport is Roanoke (ROA), which is approximately a 30 minute drive time.
Arrival time is between 9 and 10 am on Saturday morning. The course concludes by 12 pm on Sunday. If you prefer to travel on Friday, you can stay at the lodge. $50 includes a bunk and breakfast. $25 for each additional person in your group. Group, semi-private and private rooms are available. Contact us for reservations. Payment due before you leave.
This weekend is truly a choose your level of adventure weekend. You’ll have the opportunity hike around 2-3 miles over the course of the weekend around the Mountain Shepherd property, as we learn survival and outdoor skills, along with nature-themed activities.
What to Pack
- Seasonally appropriate clothes:
- Good fitting hiking boots or tennis shoes
- 1-2 pairs of socks
- 1-2 sets of undergarments
- T-shirt (synthetic or wool is great if you have them)
- Lightweight insulating top layer (a light, long-sleeve synthetic fleece or wool shirt, sweater, or jacket)
- Second insulating top layer (an additional synthetic, wool, or fleece shirt, jacket, or vest)
- Consider a third, heavier insulating layer such as a puffy jacket or thicker fleece if the weather forecast is for chilly weather)
- Rain jacket (hood recommended)
- Pants (durable, quick drying synthetic pants are ideal)
- Pajamas or long johns/base layers to sleep in
- Warm hat and gloves or mittens
- Personal toiletries and medications.
- Water bottles (1/2- 1 Liter per person)
- Any gear you already own that you’d like to use. No need to buy anything for the adventure, we’ve got you covered. Could include things like:
- Sleeping Bag
- Sleeping Pad
- Flashlight or headlamp
- Knife – fixed and/or folding blade
- Optional: one luxury item to camp with (e.g. a slim book or magazine, journal or sketchpad, deck of cards, small games for the kids, etc)
RESERVE YOUR SPOT
$100.00 – $195.00
$100.00 – $195.00
NOTE: Once you purchase your course, you should automatically receive our registration form in your email. If you don’t see it right away, please check your junk folder.